Broken Wheat Kheer makes a delicious dessert.
- Soak the almonds and pistachios for 1 hour, peel and sliver.
- Prepare the saffron by rubbing it in 1 teaspoon warm milk until the milk turns orange. Set aside.
- In a wok, heat ghee and sauté the broken wheat over low flame for 2-3 minutes. Transfer to a vessel that fits into a pressure cooker, add 1 cup water and cook for upto 3 whistles.
- In a thick bottomed pan, bring the milk to a boil and allow it to simmer for 4-5 minutes. Now add the cooked wheat and sugar and continue cooking over low flame for 4-5 minutes, stirring occasionally to avoid the grain sticking to the bottom. Adjust sugar as per preference.
- Stir the prepared saffron into the kheer along with slivered nuts, nutmeg powder and cardamom powder. Switch off the flame.
- Serve in dessert bowls, either warm or at room temperature.