Chane ki dal cooked with rice and spices is a complete meal.
- Separately wash and soak the dal and rice for 1 hour. Drain and keep aside.
- On a low flame, melt ghee in a pan for tempering. Add the cinnamons, cloves, peppercorns and asafoetida. Add water and turmeric powder. Stir. As the water boils add the dal and chili powder. Simmer till the dal is par boiled. Add rice and salt.
- Cover and cook on a low flame. Occasionally stir gently. When almost cooked, keep the vessel on a hot griddle, till excess water is absorbed.
- Serve hot with kadhi and papad.
- For Pressure Cooked Khichdi:
After tempering the khichdi, add rest of the ingredients.
Use 1/2 cup water less. Pressure cook up to three whistles.