A dry preparation of yellow moong dal served with Bhakhri and Kadhi.
- Wash and soak dal for 2 hours. Drain and keep aside.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add cumin seeds. As they crackle, add asafoetida, dal and water. Add spices and salt. Stir well.
- Cover the pan. Put water on the lid for vaporization. Keep lid slightly open.
- Cook on a medium flame till the dal is tender. Add water to the dal if required. Stir gently.
- Remove pan from the fire. Put it on the griddle (tava), over a low flame till the excess water is absorbed. Serve hot.
- The secret of this recipe is to cook whole and tender dal.