A vegetable and dal combination makes it a nutritious recipe.
- Wash and soak split bengal gram for one hour. Drain before cooking.
- Peel and cut the bottle gourd into cubes. Soak in water or the colour will change.
- Heat oil in a pan. Add mustard seeds. As they start to crackle, add asafoetida, drained dal, water and salt. Cover the pan with a lid.
- When the dal is semi cooked add the drained cubes. Cover and cook on a medium flame. Pour some water on the lid for vaporization.
- As the vegetable gets almost cooked, add kokum, jaggery, dry spices, chopped tomatoes and salt. Mix well. Cook till the vegetables and dal are tender.
- Garnish with coriander leaves. Serve hot.