A combination of rice and dal makes this khichdi light in digestion and nutritious to health.
- Wash rice and dal together. Soak them in water for 30 minutes. Keep aside.
- On a low flame, heat the ghee in a pan.
- Add the cinnamons and cloves. Sauté. Add asafoetida.
- Pour in the soaked rice and dal.
- Add the salt, turmeric and red chilli powders. Stir well. Pressure cook up to 3 whistles.
- Serve hot with melted ghee, vegetables, kadhi, papad and pickles.
- Soaking of rice and dal is optional. Proportion of mogar dal and consistency of khichdi depend on individual liking.