It is a combination of five dals, popularly eaten with Bati.
- Mix all the dals together. Wash thoroughly. Soak for 15 minutes. Drain the water. Keep aside.
- In a thick-bottomed pan, boil water. As the water starts to boil, add the dais. Stir occasionally. Cook till tender.
- Add the red chilli and turmeric powders, green chillies, kokum and salt. Let it simmer on a low flame.
- For tempering, heat ghee in a ladle on a low flame. Add the cinnamons, cloves and cumin seeds. As the seeds crackle, add asafoetida. Pour the tempering to the boiling dal. Stir well. Simmer for 5-10 minutes.
- Garnish with finely cut coriander leaves. Serve hot.
- Pressure-cook the dais in 3 cups of water up to 3 whistles. Follow the recipe from step Consistency of dal depends on individual liking.