The taste of hot Moong Dal Sheera is heavenly with an endless scope of experiment.
- Wash and soak the beans for 4 hours. Remove the skin as much as possible. Drain and grind it to a coarse paste. Put paste in a fine sieve to remove excess water.
- On a low flame, melt ghee in a wide, heavy bottomed pan. Remove the pan from fire. Add the paste. Stir well. Reheat the pan. Stir continuously till the paste is roasted to a light, golden brown colour and a sweet aroma emanates.
- Add water and milk. Stir continuously. Cook till all the liquid is absorbed. Add saffron paste and sugar.
- Cook on a low flame till sugar melts. Stir continuously till the mixture thickens and ghee separates. Switch off the flame.
- Add cardamom powder. Mix well. Let it cool in the same pan.
- Occasionally stir till it cools. Garnish and serve hot.
- Proportion of milk and water depends on individual liking.