Nothing whets the appetite as much as freshly fried kachoris.
- Mix all the ingredients for the crust. Knead to a semi-soft, smooth dough
- Divide the dough into 15-20 portions. Keep covered.
For the Crust
- In a pan, heat oil on a low flame. Add the peas and soda. Sauté till the peas are tender. Cool completely.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients. The filling is ready for use.
For the Filling
- Knead the dough portions. Roll each portion into small flat rounds (puns).
- Place a spoonful of filling in the center of the round.
- Gather and stretch the dough over the filling to make a small round ball. Seal the edges on the top firmly. Gently flatten the ball between the palms.
- Repeat to make more kachoris.
- On high flame, heat oil in a flying pan. Lower the flame. Deep fry the kachoris till golden brown in colour. Remove on an absorbent paper.
- Serve hot with green chutney or tomato ketchup.
- Kachori crusts can also be made with refined flour only. If maida is not handy, sift wheat flour with a small holed sieve (maida) to get refined flour.