Good dhoklas are light and fluffy. They appeal to the young and old alike.
- Wash and soak dal for 4-6 hours.
- Drain and keep water aside.
- Use little water at a time, for grinding dal.
- Grind to a thick batter of pouring consistency. Whip till frothy. Add chillie paste, asafoetida, turmeric powder and salt to the batter.
- Lightly grease the dhokla plates with oil.
- On a high flame boil water in the steam cooker.
- At the time of steaming, add eno, oil, sugar and lemon juice to the batter. Whisk well. Pour it equally in each plate.
- Place plates in the steam cooker for 15-20 minutes. Remove the steamed dhokla plates. Sprinkle little water over the dhokla. Cool them. Cut them into square pieces. Gently remove them with a spatula. Place in a bowl/plate.
- On a high flame, heat oil in a ladle. Add mustard seeds. As they crackle, add green chillies, curry leaves and asafoetida.
- Pour tempering evenly over the dhokla pieces. Mix well. Garnish and serve hot with green coriander chutney.