Added flavour of tamaind to the rice gives a deliciously exotic taste.
- Boil the rice with the turmeric powder. Each grain of the cooked rice must be separate but soft. Strain and cool.
- Roast the fenugreek seeds and then grind it into a fine powder.
- Roast the sesame seeds on a low flame until golden and grind to a coarse powder.
- Heat 1 1/2 tablespoons oil in a pan. Add the grams, and as they turn golden, pop the mustard seeds. Lower the flame and add the other ingredients of the tempering.
- Add the tamarind pulp and simmer for 3-4 minutes. Add the asafoetida, fenugreek and sesame powders and simmer for a couple of minutes.
- Add the cooled rice and salt, mix well and switch off the flame.
- Heat the remaining oil in a ladle. Add the grams, as they golden brown, pop the mustard seeds. Add the peanuts and roast until light brown. Switch off the flame and add the green chillies, curry leaves and ghee.
- Garnish the tamarind rice with this tempering.
For the first tempering