Ayurvedic medicine considers both as effective aromatic stimulants. Powdered coriander and cumin seeds are staple spices added to savoury recipes. Coriander seeds help in digestion and aids virility. Cumin seeds protect against discomforts of indigestion and stomach infections due to water borne bacteria.
- Separately clean both the seeds. Mix both of them.
- Spread them to dry under direct sunlight for an hour.
- Lightly roast them to remove any moisture. Cool.
- Crush and dry grind them by the traditional method or in a commercial grinder.
- Sift the powder through a sieve with holes smaller than the rice sieve.
- Place few salt or asafoetida crystals at the bottom of the jar.
- Fill half the jar tightly with turmeric powder.
- Again place few rock crystals in the middle of the jar. Fill the jar tightly again with the turmeric powder. Leave 2" space at the top of the jar. Fill it with few rock crystals. Cover the jar. Tie the lid with a clean muslin cloth. Store in a cool dry place.
- To the ready dhana jeera powder, add the powdered and sieved spices. Mix well. Preserve.
Masala Dhana Jeera
- Proportion of seeds can vary to individual taste.