Urad dal served along with bajre ki roti makes a good combination, during the cool winter months.
- Wash and drain the dal.
- On a medium flame, in a pan, boil dal in 3 cups of water. Stir occasionally for 15-17 minutes, till dal is tender.
- Add 1 cup of hot water.
- Bring it to a boil. Mix in all the spices. Stir and simmer for 5 minutes.
- On a low flame, heat ghee in a ladle for tempering. Add cloves, cinnamons and cumin seeds. As they crackle, add asafoetida. Pour the tempering to the dal. Mix well. Stir continuously. Simmer for 5 more minutes.
- Garnish and serve hot with bajre ki roti and jaggery.
- This dal can be cooked in a pressure cooker up to 3 whistles. Add extra water to individual liking.