A healthy and nutritious lentil, that is light in diet.
- Wash dal and drain the water. Keep aside.
- In a pan, boil 4 cups of water. Add dal. Stir occasionally. The scum may be removed (optional).
- Add the spices, green chillies, curry leaves, kokum and salt. Stir well. Boil for 10 minutes. Cook and simmer till the dal is tender.
- For tempering, heat ghee in a ladle. Add cumin seeds.
- As they crackle, add asafoetida. Pour the tempering to the boiling dal. Stir well. Simmer for 5 minutes.
- Garnish and serve hot with rotis and rice.
- Add extra water if required.
This dal can be cooked in a pressure cooker up to 3 whistles.