Jaggery or sugar based Matar holds the nostalgic memories of childhood. It is enjoyed not only for its sweetness but also for it's crumbly, flaky texture. It can be made in a jiffy — minutes before you want to eat it.
- On a low flame, melt ghee in a heavy bottomed pan.
- Add flour. Stir continuously and sauté till it turns light brown in colour and a sweet aroma emanates.
- Remove the pan from the fire. Add jaggery. Stir for 3-4 minutes till the jaggery melts and ghee separates.
- Immediately pour the hot mixture in a greased plate (thali). Spread and press evenly with the base of a small bowl. Garnish immediately.
- While warm, mark deep cuts of square or diamond shapes into the mixture. Cool for an hour.
- When set, gently remove pieces with a steel spatula.
- Store in an airtight container.