Round and thin Papads are an nice accompaniment to meals. They can be roasted, fried or grilled to crispiness.
- Mix and dry grind the cleaned dals to flour. To it, add pepper and asafoetida. Keep aside.
- Boil water in a big pan. To boiling hot water, add saji khar and salt. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes. Switch off the flame. Allow the water to cool completely.
- Take the top water and strain it.* Use this water as needed, to bind a stiff dough.
- Pound the dough with a pestle till the dough is soft and pliable. Keep applying little oil to the dough. It should be smooth and of rolling consistency.
- Divide the dough into 3 portions.
- Make each portion into a long cylindrical roll.
- Cut each roll into equal sized slices with a thread. (As sketch).
- Lightly rub oil on the dough portions to avoid stickiness. Roll thin papads of equal size and thickness.
- Semi dry the rolled papads on big mats in the shade. Next day, dry them on both the sides under direct sunlight. Remove them immediately when dry, else they will break. Cool and wipe them with a soft cloth.
- Store in an airtight container.
- To preserve, sprinkle fenugreek seeds in between the papads.