A very basic recipe of rice sweetened and flavoured with jaggery.
- Wash rice thoroughly. Soak it for 30 minutes. Drain. Keep aside.
- On a low flame, melt ghee in a pan. Add rice. Sauté for 5 minutes. Add 2 cups water. Cover and cook till the rice feels tender.
- In a small pan, add jaggery to hot water. Stir well till the jaggery melts. Strain it.
- Add the jaggery water to cooked rice. Simmer. Stir gently till the water is absorbed.
- Add saffron paste and cardamom powder. Serve hot.
- Left over rice can also be used. Add jaggery water. Simmer.