Fried papad sprinkled with spices taste good.
- Mix and dry grind the cleaned dals to flour. To it, add pepper and asafoetida. Keep aside.
- Boil water in a big pan. To boiling hot water, add saji khar and salt. Let it boil for 3-4 minutes. Switch off the flame. Allow the water to cool completely.
- Take the top water and strain it.* Use this water as needed, to bind a stiff dough.
- Pound the dough with a pestle till the dough is soft and pliable. Keep applying little oil to the dough. It should be smooth and of rolling consistency.
- Divide the dough into 3 portions.
- Make each portion into a long cylindrical roll.
- Cut each roll into equal sized slices with a thread.
- Lightly rub oil on the dough portions to avoid stickiness. Roll little thicker papads of equal size.
- With a lightly oiled knife, cut papad into equal strips or diamond shapes.
- The wastage can be used to make buttons and strings. Roll very small balls. Flatten them or roll into strings.
- Dry and store as papads. Use as accompaniments.
- Fry, few papad shapes in hot oil. Drain and sprinkle the spices to individual taste. Cool and store in an airtight container.
- Papad should be fried in less oil or fried last, as oil turns black.