Soft, leftover rotis are transformed into grilled, textured, delicious, khakhras. They taste good with or without ghee and are mostly served with tea.
- Authentic dondiyala khakhras are made on charcoal fire that is slowly dying out in a sagdi.
- Two tongs are placed horizontally on the fire.
- Four to five leftover rotis are placed on the tongs. Roast alternate sides of the rotis till crisp. Apply ghee. Serve hot with pickles or vegetables.
- These khakhras change shape but have an irresistible smoky, sweet flavour.
- In the present age, ovens and grills are used to make the dondiyala khakhras.
- Preheat the oven, for 15 -20 minutes. Switch it off.
- Place three to four rotis on the grill. Grill alternate sides of the rotis till crisp or grill rotis at a low temperature till crisp. Khakhras change shape but taste equally good.
- Dondiyala khakhras are little thicker as they are made from left over rotis. As pressure is not given to the roti while roasting, these khakhras are textured and not flat.