Seven varieties of cereals and lentils are combined together to plan a well balanced vegetarian diet. It is a meal by itself.
- 1a. Wash and soak all the grains together except chola and vaal beans in water for 30 minutes. Drain and keep aside.
- 1b. Wash and soak both the beans separately in water for 4 hours. Drain and keep aside.
For the soaking
- On a low flame, heat ghee and oil together in a pan. Add the other ingredients. Sauté for 1 minute. Add 5 cups of water. Bring to a boil.
For the Tempering
- As the water boils, add the carom seeds, green chillies, turmeric and red chili powders. Add the grains and beans. Mix well.
- Cover and cook on a low flame, for 30 minutes till tender. If water remains, simmer for other 4-8 minutes. Switch off the flame. Remove from the gas.
- Add 2 tablespoons of ghee. Gently mix well. Garnish, serve hot with kadhi or curds, pickles and papad.
- To Pressure Cook Khichdi:
After tempering, add the other ingredients.
Add only 4 1/2 cups of water.
Pressure cook khichdi up to 4 whistles.
Consistency of khichdi depends on individual liking.