Many flavours are infused to make dal dhokli into a tempting dish.
- Add the extra spices while tempering the dal.
- Add boiling water and jaggery to the tempered dal. Let it simmer on a low flame. Keep aside.
For the Dal
- Mix all the ingredients. Knead to a soft dough. Divide it into 6 portions.
- Roll out big but thin rotlis from each portion.
- With a knife, cut each rotli into square pieces. The dhoklis are added to the dal, close to serving time.
For the Dhokli
- To the boiling dal, add the dhoklis, one at a time.
- Stir gently. Cover. Keep lid slightly open. Simmer till they are cooked (5-7 minutes). Stir occasionally to avoid dhoklis sticking to the pan. Serve hot.
- To make dal dhokli more tasty, keep in mind the family preferences. Add any of the optional ingredients to satisfy their taste buds. Add 1/2 cup hot water and a pinch of mixed spices if thin consistency of tuvar dal is required.